The Greenwood Fund
The Greenwood Fund is a donor-advised fund of The Denver Foundation that provides small grants for artifacts and collection care for museums in the Colorado and Wyoming area. The 2020 deadline to apply is Monday, August 31. Read the 2020 Greenwood Fund Guidelines and Application.
Grants are available to any museum with a permanent collection in Colorado and/or Wyoming that has current non-profit status (501C3) and that is open to the public on a regular basis. Grants are not available to individuals and cannot be used for endowments, routine building maintenance, events, or travel. Funds can be used to purchase equipment, archival supplies, and outside services. Grant size typically ranges from $500 - $1,500, with $1,500 as the maximum amount awarded.
Funds are not available for exhibitions, education, salaries, general operating support, building expansions (unless for conservation labs), endowments (except for conservation), marketing, public relations, travel, or scholarships. At this time, the grant will not cover collections management expenses such as computers, digitizing projects, or collections photography.
Preference will go to legitimate museums that have permanent collections on exhibit to the public. (In other words, not to galleries, children's museums without collections, science museums without collections, corporate collections, etc. or "museums" that are without 501-C3 status.)
The Greenwood Fund supports the conservation of museum artifacts and collections care projects within the museum community of Colorado and Wyoming. Grants are available annually and the Greenwood Fund gives priority to smaller museums.
Past Grant Award Winners
Past grant award winners include*:
- Aurora Museum Foundation, for the purchase of archival supplies to store and preserve the Aurora Theater Memorial Collection
- Boulder Historical Society, for supplies to rehouse and preserve a portion of the Phyllis Plehaty Costume Collection
- Bessemer Historical Society, to purchase acid-free storage trays and cartons for the preservation of a large mineral collection
- Broomfield Depot Museum, for archival materials and a contract archivist and the purchase of an artifact vacuum
- Cadoma Foundation, for the purchase of archival materials
- Casper College Foundation, for the purchase of light, temperature, and humidity monitoring equipment
- City of Longmont, for the restoration of a 1904 Steger upright piano
- Colorado State University Foundation, for the Gregory Allicar Museum of Art's conservation of a painting by Frans Pourbus the Younger
- Colorado State University Foundation, University Art Museum for the conservation of the Matt Mullican sculptural series
- Colorado Wyoming Association of Museums, to support making the Peer Assessor / Preservation Site Assessment Program available to museums across Colorado
- Denver Botanical Gardens, for cleaning of the Waring Room Storage Area
- Denver Firefighters Museum, for the purchase of period blinds to mitigate light damage
- Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, for the purchase of archival quality boxes for some of the most threatened objects in the museum's collection
- Denver Museum of Miniatures, Dolls and Toys, for equipment to manage the environmental conditions in the museum’s collection storage area
- Discovery Center Science Museum, for conservation supplies for the Local History Archives
- Fort Collins Museum of Discovery, supplies for Collections' and Archive's re-housing in the new facility
- Friends of the Old Pen, Inc. / Wyoming Frontier Prison, for archival supplies for documents and photos in the collection related to the penitentiary
- Frontier Historical Society, for archival storage supplies for the museum’s collection
- Golden History Museums, for the Golden History Museums' conservation of the Golden Centennial Flag
- Golden History Museums, for the conservation of a 1874 Clarke Map
- Grand Encampment Museum, to purchase supplies to store and preserve dress uniforms in the collection
- Historic Denver, Inc., for the care and maintenance of the Molly Brown House Museum’s fashion collections
- History Colorado, for the Ute Indian Museum in Montrose, Colorado, in testing artifacts for pesticides
- History Colorado, to support the Office of Archaeology and Historic Preservation (OAHP) in the purchase of materials to re-house the El Pueblo collection of artifacts
- Homelake Veterans History Center Museum, for materials to preserve documents related to service records of the institution’s historical residents
- Hotel de Paris Museum, to fund the professional refinishing of four original exterior doors by a professional conservationist
- Humphry Memorial Park and Museum, to rehouse the Humphrey’s personal clothing collection
- National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in Colorado, for framing costs for four etchings
- Nicolaysen Art Museum, for the conservation of paintings by the Western Conservation of Fine Art
- Pioneer Historical Society of Bent County, for the archival supplies for historical newspapers
- Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, to support conservation treatment of the Lazy Daisy Variation quilt
- Sheridan County Historical Society & Museum, for the Sheridan County Historical Society & Museum's purchase of archival supplies
- University of Colorado Foundation, for the CU Art Museum's efforts to restore and repair an oil painting by William Sartain
- University of Denver, to support the University of Denver Museum of Anthropology in purchasing two Sandusky-Lee Radius Edge Clear View Cabinets
- The Wyoming State Museum, for conservation work on the Yellowstone Observation Wagon
- The Wyoming State Museum, for the conservation of the Lakota Horse Mask
* Not an all-inclusive list of all past grant award winners.
Please email questions to email@example.com. No calls, please.